Cheney lied to keep innocents jailed at Gitmo

By Jim Stanford on April 9, 2010

Tags: , ,

How this man fishes the Snake River instead of being shackled in The Hague continues to elude me.

What would you do if you saw Dick Cheney on the street? Think, there goes a doddering ogre of an old man, and leave him be?

Or get in his face about, say, an article like this:

No less of a conservative news source than the Times of London reports that Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and George W. Bush knowingly imprisoned hundreds of innocent people at Guantánamo Bay because freeing them would have undercut their phony justification for the Iraq war.

The Times report was based on a signed statement by Lawrence Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Colin Powell, in a lawsuit filed by a Guantánamo detainee.

“[Wilkerson] claimed that the former Vice-President and Defence Secretary knew that the majority of the initial 742 detainees sent to Guantánamo in 2002 were innocent but believed that it was ‘politically impossible to release them,’” the Times reports.

Colonel Wilkerson, a long-time critic of the Bush Administration’s approach to counter-terrorism and the war in Iraq, claimed that the majority of detainees — children as young as 12 and men as old as 93, he said — never saw a US soldier when they were captured. He said that many were turned over by Afghans and Pakistanis for up to $5,000. Little or no evidence was produced as to why they had been taken.

Referring to Mr Cheney, Colonel Wilkerson, who served 31 years in the US Army, asserted: “He had absolutely no concern that the vast majority of Guantánamo detainees were innocent … If hundreds of innocent individuals had to suffer in order to detain a handful of hardcore terrorists, so be it.”

Remember that next time you bump into Cheney at Kmart or Whole Grocer.

Posted under Crime, Media, Politics, Republican Party

1. danno April 9, 2010 6:24 pm

Umm…you are reporting the accusations of a bitter disgruntled leftist as statements of fact…the Times did not report, as you say above, that this happened, they reported that there is a CLAIM this happened. Kind of a big difference, isn’t it?

Anyway, I am sure there was absolutely NO reason to pick up any of these folks that were eventually released at the time and transport them to Gitmo…they were only out for a Sunday drive and meant no one any harm. No one who is guilty ever gets released without being charged, right? As a matter of fact, they must all be innocent, that is why the Bamster said he woud close Gitmo one year after taking office. Oh wait, it’s not closed yet…

Peace out, comrades!

2. Carl April 9, 2010 8:19 pm

Just like the american media reported that we landed on the moon based on a NASA claim.

And yes, there was reason to pick them up; 5,000 reasons for someone.

What obama has to do with this I’m not sure. I dont recall obama stating that gitmo prisoners were innocent, but I guess we’ve left the realm of reality, so I’ll get my unicorn ready for flight.

3. DAVE April 10, 2010 8:27 am

when i see vp cheney in kmart or sunrise lbr i will give him great respect.

4. js April 10, 2010 10:07 am

Funny how the goalposts have been moved, to the point where a 30-year Army veteran who served as top aide to a Republican secretary of state is now considered a “leftist.”

I guess all the talk from right-wing crazies and tea partiers about protecting individuals’ rights from big government only applies to white people living in rural America.

The fact is, when confronted with one of the most blatant and disgusting acts of totalitarianism in our nation’s history, they waved the flag and actively cheered it on.

5. D April 12, 2010 9:55 am

I hate to say it but if we have to lock up 100 innocent Muslims to save one American life on our soil, I am ok with that. It’s not fair but there are a lot of things that happened dealing with this and they are all not fair. It was not fair for them to fly planes into buildings but they did. I know you will say that this is the act of a few and you are right but until they stand up to the few and stop it, I am ok with doing what ever we need to do. I think Dick and Bush are lying cheats and are at the least criminal, but I do think we have to face the problem of terrorism in some way. We just didn’t need to add a war over oil in the middle of it. Just my 2 cents.

6. js April 12, 2010 2:50 pm

What’s most despicable isn’t that we rounded up innocent people — although that operation sounds like everything else done in Iraq, a total junk show — but that even after we realized they were innocent, Dick Cheney refused to release them because it might have undercut the bogus rationale for going to war. Cheney and co. were that desperate to make a connection between Sadaam and al Qaeda, even for show.