Glenn Beck coming to ruin your Fourth of July

Yes, really. Beck finds Idaho a good place to incite terrorism.

In a convergence that’s either beautiful or terrifying, Glenn Beck will be appearing in Teton Valley, Idaho, over July 4th weekend, while the rock band Widespread Panic plays a concert at The Spud.

The Faux News psycho pundit and hate-spewing hero of the Tea Party movement is “headlining” the community’s Fourth of July festivities, according to the Valley Citizen.

Beck has been invited by David Huntsman, one of the partners in the Huntsman Springs golf development and new boss of Sotheby’s Realty locally.

Huntsman said Beck will be speaking on the evening of July 3 after a performance by the BYU-Idaho Symphony Orchestra at the driving range on the development’s grounds on the west side of the valley in Driggs. The event will be free and open to the public.

Huntsman said that Beck’s performance as planned will be “non-political” and that Beck, who has been to Huntsman Springs on several occasions, wanted to celebrate the Fourth of July in a small town.

Beck being “non-political” is about as likely as Widespread playing a set of Vienna waltzes.

What’s really scary is the Teton Valley Chamber of Commerce and Huntsman think this is a fun idea for Fourth of July. So much for the fall of the Spud Curtain in Driggs and Victor.

A recovering alcoholic and drug addict who converted to Mormonism, Beck ought to get a kick out of the Widespread scene. Freedom for all!

————————————————————–
Widespread Panic to play Spud on July 4th (May 24, 2010)

Posted under Entertainment, Holidays, Politics, Religion, Republican Party

1. Mike Keegan June 3, 2010 9:30 am

Another agressive, hate spewing article. If you don’t like Glen Beck – don’t go. Some people like him so I hope they enjoy his appearance. Does he really incite terrorism?

2. D June 3, 2010 10:30 am

It like a nightmare I am conservative at heart but this guy is just insane talk about “aggressive, hate spewing” I think we should move the WSP lot for pre game over to the Beck road show.

3. miguel June 3, 2010 11:59 am

Perhaps there is an article from Glenn Beck fans out there somewhere using hate-speech, intolerance, and stereotypes to describe the WSP crowd and how “scary” it is to allow that group to gather on the fourth of july. It would be an easy one to write.
    I can’t decide whether you or GB is the bigger tool.

4. SK June 3, 2010 12:47 pm

Here’s a link to a video about Glenn Beck’s fear-mongering, hate-filled lunacy. GB is the biggest tool of all!

5. dswift June 3, 2010 3:20 pm

Mike, Glenn Beck has described me as “a cancer” and has called for my elimination. Not just me but everyone who thinks like me.

(Okay, everyone who Beck thinks thinks like me –although Beck does not know how I think, or for that matter how other really people think. But the nuances of human thought are inconvenient for Beck when he can have the non-thinking, highly-emotional sorts fall obediently to his feet by creating imaginary enemies who possess imaginary thoughts of constructing imaginary plots. Whatever. Long story short, Beck has convinced millions that I hate America because . . . I dunno . . . because I believe in “the majority rules”?)

Seriously. A (former) colleague threatened me with violence after I pointed out Beck’s numerous fallacies and outright lies. My friend was angry because I would not “give Beck a chance.”

That said, I do wish that my fellow countrymen who have a weak spot for narcissistic charismatics find bliss on July 4. They should bring small vials in hopes of capturing Magic Patriot Tears. One tiny drop of Magic Patriot Tears in a latte and another liberal dies, leaving no trace.

6. Mike Keegan June 3, 2010 4:39 pm

David:
    Now I am exhausted. I think I need a nap and tickets to see Panic. I love when people drink the Kool Aid. Kind of like a politician getting an endorsement from some association or union. Does it really change peoples votes?
    I click by Beck on my way to the History Channel. I would rather know what a pawn shop would pay for a glass sword.

7. jhcook June 4, 2010 4:29 am

i hear beck hangs out at the brew pub with the rest of the sheep

8. Jim June 4, 2010 7:01 am

It’ll be interesting to see who shows up from out of town for this event. Beck strikes me as an self-obsessed, opportunistic tool, but what a PR move by Huntsman to get people onto his new real estate development, eh? Huntsman Springs is targeted toward the SLC buyer and I bet there will be quite a few of them hitting the road to see Beck in Driggs. Hand out a few free rounds of golf and you’ve got an A-1 sales opportunity.
    Of course the Teton Valley Chamber is behind it – between Beck and Widespread we’ll have the whole political spectrum attracted to Teton Valley over the 4th. They’re goal is to promote visitation isn’t it???
    Wouldn’t it be funny if we could get WSP to play on Beck’s stage for 15 minutes and Beck to do whatever it is he plans to do at the Spud for an opener as well?

9. RB June 4, 2010 9:36 am

Agreed that Beck is a red, right, radical zealot, but to each his own. If you don’t like Beck don’t attend. There are plenty of radical rhetorics that on both sides of “the aisle”, and there always will be. So why let it bother you. Go to the show and rock out! Bottom line is that Huntsman is making a great move not only for himself, but potentially for the economy of the Teton Valley, ID. I love the last suggestion about the two opening for one another, it would be a snafu of epic proportions.

10. dave June 4, 2010 10:20 am

good idea, maybe glenn and wsp can tour together. maybe they could also book fred dean and lawrence welk.

11. Mike Keegan June 4, 2010 10:52 am

I am going to sell tie dyed tee shirts and leather bracelets at the beck appearence and go on the road with him. I know, I will set up my cassette recorder next to the sound man and bootleg his speeches!

12. js June 4, 2010 11:53 am

fellow patriots, I need a miracle!
    /holds finger in air

13. SK June 4, 2010 12:21 pm

@js: Which finger? :D

14. danno June 5, 2010 10:21 am

Liberals, always professing to be open minded and progressive but ultimately intolerant of opinions other than their own.

15. dswift June 5, 2010 11:41 am

danno, you’re saying should I tolerate someone who calls for my elimination?

16. geraldjosef June 6, 2010 9:26 pm

I think those left wing, god hatin-fag lovin liberals should crawl into the same vw bus and suffocate on each others filth. Done! End of the show.

BJ4GB

17. Keith June 7, 2010 11:38 am

This article is the perfect example of “hate speech.” Derogatory towards mormonism and anyone who believes that GB speaks rational thoughts. This is America, and anyone has the right to believe, support, or speak about anything they want to.
    I think it’s funny that the Left claims that the Right oppresses them and reduces the right for them to believe what they want, when in reality it’s the exact opposite. If Howard Zinn were still alive, and he was making the appearance instead of GB (nobody in Teton Valley would go), I guarantee you this article would be about how insightful and fun this weekend would be. But it’s not. Its about the Left-wingers of JH trying to oppress the crazy mormons of teton valley. If they want GB to come to the Valley, so what? I promise you that if you hate GB, and DONT GO SEE HIM, your 4th of July wont be ruined.
    Practice what you preach, and let each have his own. After all, that’s what this upcoming holiday is about.

18. Jim June 7, 2010 1:17 pm

I don’t really know who Glen Beck is at all. (I don’t have tv.) But this Jim Stanford is really a hate-spewing, self-rightious ass! I’ve never read such a one-sided article. Jim, go back to journelism school. You obvoisly suck at your job!

19. Suz June 7, 2010 2:32 pm

To Jim (not Jim Stanford),
    You are obviously the ASS here. You are commenting on a post in which you know nothing about the topic. If you don’t know who Glenn Beck is, how can you possibly give your opinion? I, along with any other educated American, can say that Glenn Beck is a hate-spewing, self-righteous person because I have educated myself on both conservative and liberal matters. Have you? I know Jim personally and I can say that he is far from “sucking” at his job. Before you make assumptions, educate yourself about Glenn and meet Jim Stanford. Sheeeesh!

20. Chad June 7, 2010 3:43 pm

If hypocrisy were a currency, GB’d be a rich man. Google “Glenn Beck Hyprocrite” and you’ll be busy for hours watching the guy embarass himself.

This is all moot. He’s an entertainer – not a news man. Like watching Howard Stern to better understand the nuances of global socio-economic policy.

I’ll stick with the ‘elites’ who put knowledge and science above conjecture and faith. We’ll be the ones leaving yo asses behind when we colonize the universe while you toil on the oil-soaked, nuclear-scorched sponge formerly known as Earth. Talk about ‘left behind’.

21. jp June 7, 2010 8:22 pm

Jim S., the one thing missing here is the fact that GB isn’t here for the July 4th celebration, he’s actually here for a new holiday, July 3rd. Funny that factors beyond mere mortals’ control dictate that the birth of the nation that allows free practice of ones beliefs takes a back seat to those beliefs and gets moved to a more appropriate day…

22. rachel. June 7, 2010 10:44 pm

jim,

thanks for writing this.

a] it’s the first [and only] place i read that glenn beck is coming to the valley… and that’s something.

b] i appreciate your opinion of the man. i do not appreciate the way beck talks about this country, it’s leadership, morals, freedom, etc.

c] keep up the good work.

r.

23. D June 8, 2010 9:09 am

@Chad,

How dare you put Howard Stern in the same sentence as GB. Howard is the MAN and farrrrrrrr wiser then GB.

24. Bones June 8, 2010 12:53 pm

The comments in this thread are exactly the reason why this was a poor judgment call on Huntsman’s part.

Without even getting into my opinion of the guy, I think everyone can agree GB is quite possibly one of the most polarizing figures today. Love him or hate him, the mere mention of Beck’s name elicits a strong reaction from almost anyone.

The Fourth of July, in my opinion, should be a time when we put aside all the cultural differences and partisan bullshit that can divide us as a nation. We should forget about all the negative stuff and just think about what makes this country great, just for a day, and be proud to be Americans. Then we can resume our normal, everyday bickering on July 5.

As a Teton Valley resident, I find it sad and unfortunate Huntsman chose to bring such a high-profile, polarizing figure to our community on such a weekend. Does Huntsman Springs, a private organization who’s largely funding the July Fourth festivities in Driggs, have every right to bring whomever they want? Yes. Does Glenn Beck have the right to free speech? Absolutely. But is this the most responsible choice, especially given the existing cultural divisions that unquestionably exist in the valley? Doubtful.

Beck’s invitation by Huntsman is only opening old wounds in the Teton Valley community and driving an already existing wedge even further between it’s members. Huntsman should have exercised better forethought and judgment in their choice.

Finally, @rachel, in response to your point [a], I’d encourage you to bookmark http://www.valleycitizen.com and you can read about these things before Jim writes about them (which he did point out in the above post). You can even find free hard-copies floating around Jackson. A little self-serving, I know, but it’s the best way to find out what’s news in Teton Valley.

25. js June 8, 2010 9:51 pm

well said. btw, thanks for the heads-up. your original remark was funny!

26. Tk June 10, 2010 9:56 am

I think it’s funny how you have to be a mormon or uneducated person to like GB. I have a Masters from Harvard so I think it’s safe to say I’m educated. If GB is the hate spewer and all liberals are so wonderful then why are you all spewing so much hate towards him or anyone that follows him? Hi Pot, I’m Kettle! I might not agree with your liberal point of views, but you’re all entitiled to your own opinion. If you don’t like him, don’t listen to him, don’t watch him and don’t attend! Keep flipping past the channel on your way to Pawn Stars.

27. D June 11, 2010 7:43 am

OHHHHHHHHH I love Pawn Stars how much for that glass sword?

28. Ms. Jazz June 11, 2010 9:29 am

Glenn Beck is a mentally ill nut job. The fact that he is a Mormon solidifies the fact that Beck will believe anything. Those folks don’t believe in critical thinking, therefore they don’t do their research…they just pay, pray, and obey and wear their magic underwear. Do you suppose Beck gives the cult 10% of his earnings? Bet he doesn’t.

Beck is on of the most hate-filled humans to come around in a long time…oh, that is since Hannity, O’Reilly, Coulter, and tub-o-lard Limbaugh, etal.

The right-wing lunatics are hell-bent on destroying America. Scary individuals!

29. D June 11, 2010 9:57 am

It’s kind of like why do you talk bad about Hitler? Everyone has the right to free speech. Well because what some people do with that free speech is insane. Glenn is full of good points and thing I agree with it’s to bad he cant leave out the biased and unnecessary hatred racist nonsense that goes along with it. I’m an anti-progressive conservative much like Beck but I also believe in letting everyone speak there mind without calling them racist or un-American, or idiots tying to ruin the country. I think Glenn has every right to his opinion but when it goes into hatred and violent speech I draw a line. I by no means think he should be stopped from coming I just won’t go and I won’t support it all while I bash him for his unnecessary hatred. No one is saying he has bad ideas or has no right to those ideas they are talking about the nonsense that goes with them; you can voice you ideas and opinions without going to the unnecessary point he does. Have fun though and happy 4th I know I will be having a great time. PS Say hi to my mom as she will be there I‘m sure an I Love her :-).

30. D June 11, 2010 9:59 am

Hey know leave O Reilly out of it he at least tries to think rationally it must be tough in that environment.

31. dswift June 13, 2010 9:45 am

@16: There’s a well-trained Beck fan for all to see.

“Let’s just kill everyone I don’t like.”

After which inevitably will come, “And how dare you call me protofascist. That violates my First Amendment!”

32. john w June 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Jim you’re a typical far left nutcase who can’t accept the fact that someone doesn’t agree with your political views

(Translation = bankroll)

America doesn’t like you or your kind (Liberals) continuing your relentless pursuit and waist of my weekly paycheck.

The revolutionary war was started by people who didn’t like taxation without representation.

You need to move back to the Queens land. They will give you all the handouts you want.

Hahahaha

Dream on fool!!!

33. EastIdaho June 15, 2010 5:44 am

What an asshole.

34. E J Gilstrap June 15, 2010 5:49 pm

I have seen Glenn many times. He is deeply patriotic and instills truth going back to the what the founding fathers intended this great nation to be. Most who don’t like his words, turn and twist them to fit their hate and progressive agenda, which involves taking our freedoms, liberty and God from our lives. They believe they are the only ones who should be able to express opinions, and should have complete control over our lives as we are too dumb to think and act for ourselves, that we should all let the government run(ruin) our lives. I would love it if they would just move to the other multiple countries with govts like this, cuba, russia, venezuala, Iran etc. and let the rest of us live in the America as it was intended. FREE and under GOD.

35. dave June 15, 2010 7:44 pm

well said gilstrap.

36. EastIdaho June 16, 2010 6:49 am

Gilstrap how can you deride progressives for not allowing others to express opinions in one sentence, then say you’d love it if people who don’t agree with your views on government would leave our country in the next? Don’t you see the contradiction?

37. Ms. Jazz June 16, 2010 6:07 pm

People like Gilstrap belong to the brain-washed, Kool-Aid drinking, far-right evangelical faction, that’s why he/she can relate to Beck. Glenn Beck is nothing more than a babbling idiot – a dry drunk. He quit drinking/drugging and joined the Mormon cult where he continues to swallow their particular brand of Kool-Aid. Beck now believes in talking snakes, visits from God, the planet Kolob, and the virgin birth. Please spare us any more of your indignation. You don’t like living in the same country with progressive liberals? I suggest you be the one to move – Peru maybe? Heck, I’d even help you move. I am not a Christian and I don’t like Glenn Beck’s ideologies or his insane rantings. He is a pusher of fear, hatred, and untruths. FYI, this country was NOT founded on Christian beliefs. Gilstrap needs to educate himself. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

38. johnw June 16, 2010 6:43 pm

EJ

You hit the nail on the head.
    The main difference between “East Idaho” and myself is that, he will ride the wave of what he perceives to be “NEWS= TRUTH” while I choose to look further into the facts to obtain the truth.
    Glenn can be ripped until the cows come home…but the truth will eventually come out.
    The far left will try to push whatever they have in there agenda in the name of “Humanity” to accomplish there goals.
    In the end it all comes down to:
    Do you trust the government to better manage your income than you?
    I Don’t!!!!!!
    $200 Toilet Seat’s
    $500 Hammers
    Do you ever stop to think of where these payoffs originate?
    It’s the only group of government to continue to vote themselves pay raises (Congress & Senate) while the rest of US struggles to feed their children.
    “1776”
    Read about why we revolted from English Rule.
    Long live George, Ben, Thomas and the rest of our founding fathers who had the balls to stand up for the common man.

And to you East Idaho…
    KISS MY RED WHITE & BLUE ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. D June 16, 2010 9:08 pm

johnw
    Showing those good christen values. LOL

40. Brad June 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Inquiring minds want to know:

Will the erstwhile Mr. Stanford construct an effigy of Beck, so he can hang it in front of Huntsman Springs, then wait for a crowd to gather so he can tear it apart and kick its head down highway 33 for the cameras, much like he did with Cheney’s effigy a few years ago?

Ms Jazz – while this country may not have been founded based on Christianity per se, it was indeed founded on Christian beliefs, a subtle, yet distinct difference.

Kudos to Keith @17. Right on.

41. js June 16, 2010 10:26 pm

erstwhile?

I ought not to waist any more electrons responding to those with such a righteous vision of how the America should be.

Keep the love flowing, Glenn Beck disciples. GOD bless y’all!

42. EastIdaho June 17, 2010 6:50 am

Wow, johnw…..kinky. Doesn’t that offend your “traditional family values”?

43. Ms. Jazz June 17, 2010 7:29 am

The most prominent of the Founder Fathers such as George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and Ethan Allen, were Deists rather than Christians. Deists believed in the supremacy of human reason over faith and revelation, and disdained the supernatural. They opposed both government suppression and government establishment of religion.

44. Carl June 17, 2010 9:45 am

Why does usage of “they’re”, “there”, and “their” continue to haunt supposedly edumacated people? Why is our children not learning?

1492!

Non-sequitur.

Sincerely,
    America, Liberty, Freedom, Eagles, and most of all, Freedom. But also Liberty.

45. Brad June 17, 2010 11:22 am

Carl, your rite.

Ms Jazz, my statement was only meant to convey a note of tolerance as part of the founding of this country. Deists? Mmmm, OK, good point, although I would label them theists. I don’t think they thought of God as the Creator, who then stood back and said “whatever…”. More like God who still has a firm hand and works through us. So, yes, the first amendment makes clear their intent on establishment of religion. We can believe what we want. BTW, I may be no liberal, but am no Glenn Beck fan either. I find him tiresome.

46. D June 17, 2010 12:11 pm

That’s what the whole “Separation of Church and State was about”. LOL Glen loves the constitution only when it supports his beliefs. He sure is good at pretending to be a purest.

47. DTP July 3, 2010 11:00 am

@ Ms Jazz

Shows how much you’ve studied the Founding Fathers.
    Ben Franklin would be classified more as a Unitarian than a Deist,which you gave an somewhat inaccurate definition of btw. They basically believe in a God who created everything and then abondonded it, not having any desire to interact with his creation. Not quite the same thing you said.
    Which doesn’t sound like Ben when he said things like, “It is that particular wise and good God, who is the Author and Owner of our System, that I propose for the Object of my Praise and Adoration.
    For I conceive that he has in himself some of those Passions he has planted in us, and that, since he has given us Reason whereby we are capable of observing his Wisdom in the Creation, he is not above caring for us, being pleas’d with our Praise, and offended when we slight Him, or neglect his Glory.
    I conceive for many Reasons that he is a good Being, and as I should be happy to have so wise, good and powerful a Being my Friend, let me consider in what Manner I shall make myself most acceptable to him.
    Next to the Praise due, to his Wisdom, I believe he is pleased and delights in the Happiness of those he has created; and since without Virtue Man (*) can have no Happiness in this World, I firmly believe he delights to see me Virtuous, because he is pleas’d when he sees me Happy.”

48. Daryl L. Hunter July 4, 2010 8:39 am

It was a great and inspiring show, it is too bad liberals are so poisoned by bad information they can’t recognize someone that is trying to save America from ignorant voters and economic imbecile politicians.

49. Mike V July 4, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey Daryl,

What color is the sky of the planet YOU live on?

50. Tom July 28, 2010 4:39 pm

What a disaster Huntman’s Springs is! An over-priced private course in the middle of nowhere? And of course they put it just 400 yards from the end of the runway at Driggs Airport. No one is buying property in that development -which is that way it should be. As Glen Beck says: Obama is destroying the economy -so you better buy gold -not real estate!

51. Hired Mind September 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Congratulations! I think you have set a record for sneering, mean-spirited epithets in one post, while keeping it completely sterilized of any substantive thought in the process!

Monkeys throwing their feces would be impressed.

52. Leon Foonman November 4, 2010 12:21 pm

Considering that Huntsman wants to carve up the Teton Valley and carpet the state with McMansions, making sure that only billionaires can call the valley home…

It’s no surprise that he’d invite this phoney_baloney_libertarian re*tra%d to incite a lot of right wing hate in around here. As if Huntsman himself is anything but another rich carpet bagger, who would like to simply buy us all out of the state.
    Why?
    Because he can.
    “it’s his contitutional right” isn’t it?

Just like Beck’s right to compete with Fred Phelps for being the most obnoxious example of pious hypocrisy!
    And to Tom, blaming Obama for the crimes of the Bush administration (yes, war profiteering IS a crime) is the same as when the Bushies blamed Bill Clinton for all their failures.
    Read a real newspaper sometime, if you can even find one. And turn off Faux Nooz, it’s making you look silly.

53. dukenukemall July 1, 2011 5:08 pm

You must be a progressive transplant.

54. sven July 1, 2012 6:38 am

the most inane banter i have read with in the realm of “political discourse” in a long time. pull your god damn myopic heads out of the hole that normally ejects impurities. glenn beck is not satan come to the west of the teton valley. do what i do as a liberatarian and smile until someone really upsets your shitty apple cart.

55. john walker July 2, 2012 8:52 pm

What would your grandmother thnk of glen beck? Not the sound bite guy the whole enchilada guy. Hes a nut job standing up there spraying nonsensical blither that he thinks is true, totaally off his rocker and a dry drunk. However a very nice firework show put on by huntsman springs. They were probably hoping to burn the hole thing to the ground and what would they do if that had happened? Well friends they would walk away..