inviting ye to Beer Summit on Thursday

By Jim Stanford on December 12, 2011

Tags: , ,

President Obama brings together Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates and Cambridge, Mass., police Sgt. James Crowley in 2009 to talk about race.

Five years ago this month, I began wading into the world of css and html, WordPress and DreamHost, cobbling together thoughts into an online journal. After several all-night sessions of trial and error, with much guidance and encouragement from DG at The Snaz, JH Underground was born.

Some 900 posts, 4,100 comments and 2 million page views later, I am still astonished at the response. To thank readers, celebrate the five-year anniversary and spread some holiday cheer, JH Underground is teaming with Snake River Brewing Co. to host a Beer Summit on Thursday. From 5 to 7 p.m. upstairs at the brew pub, we’ll have pitchers and pizzas and talk about the issues we often debate on these pages.

Inspired by the Obama summit, the idea for the event grew out of my desire to bring together many of this site’s regular readers and contributors. In the last year, the online community here really hit its stride; I appreciate the opinions and insight that many of you add to the dialogue. Call me old fashioned, but I thought, Why not meet and attach a face to the commenter alias?

So this invite is for you, the likes of Chad, Brad, Rob, dave, jd, D, Aaron, Jojo10:13, even danno. And for anyone who hasn’t yet won a concert ticket giveaway. We’ll have name tags in case you care to identify yourself, or to preserve anonymity, you could just confide in me your online identity. I’ll buy your first beer; after that, you’re on your own.

Hope to see many of you on Thursday and raise a glass. Again, thanks to everyone for your support these last five years. That’s what has kept me going.

Posted under From the Publisher, Holidays, Media, Politics

1. D December 12, 2011 1:51 pm

If I make it up to ski I will be sure to stop by. Congrats on your success. Now go outside and do a snow dance.

2. bzig December 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Do us lurkers get a free beer too? Or does this comment count?

Congrats on five years of always interesting posts, Jim. You’re a damn fine journalist my friend.

3. js December 12, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks, Zig. Of course. Everyone is invited, including the lurkers. And JH Underground owes some of its blogging heritage to jhlocal and its snarky media critics — what were their names? Thaddeus?

4. LMW December 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Will you Skype in those that adore you from afar? Not the lurkers, but the out-of-towners? Or, at least, pour one out for us?

5. js December 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Yay! Another of the early inspirers. I’ll give a toast to Please Happy and think of you next time I turn on my Christmas lights :)

6. Chuck December 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks for the outlet, JS. It’s simply the best spot for local discussions on a variety of topics. Wish you continued success.

7. Elsie December 12, 2011 5:54 pm

I’m glad I found this site and I wish you continued success.

8. Jake December 13, 2011 8:23 am

I really appreciate what you are doing here, JS. Thanks for putting in the time.

9. David Stubbs December 13, 2011 8:24 am

Congrats JS! Keeping news and discussions going in this town without the backing of real estate is truly community service. (God knows it’s not making you rich)
    Nice work! Here’s to five more.

10. Boat 1 Retired December 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Jim – congrats on achieving the 5 year mark. I trust that you will be around for another 5+! See you at the beer summit!
    Thanks for what you do and keep it going.

11. Cara December 13, 2011 7:47 pm

five years of scoopin’ and sippin’…. congrats JS!

12. randosteve December 13, 2011 9:11 pm

nice work jim.

2 million? not bad for a “local” blog. ;)

13. greg December 14, 2011 12:23 pm

jim- i appreciate your work and enjoy coming to your site daily. nice job. your stuff on the canyon closure was so much better and earlier than any other source. please keep getting in out in front of things.

14. rachel. December 14, 2011 3:57 pm

i feel like i should be there! i hate that i’ll miss it!

congrats on having a dream and running with it… hard.

love!

15. Fresh Tracks December 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Honest words from the heart always ring true to me. Thanks for your contribution to the ongoing discussion.

16. David December 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks for the shoutout, Jim. So psyched, but not surprised, that jhunderground continues to be the most thoughtful and timely news source in the Hole.

T. and I will be ready to tie one on after tomorrow’s TF meetings, I bet. Looking forward to it.

17. js December 15, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for all the kind words, especially ye fellow bloggers. Now I have a lot to live up to!

There are several events going on tonight — High Country-Jack Dennis “Confluence” and Stagecoach Pizza Night at Betty Rock among them — but hope many of you can stop by the pub for a Happy Hour brew as JH Underground goes “above ground” at SRB.

18. moontroll December 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Yer illustrious site lets me keep up with the Tetons/JH vibe from afar. Great writing, opinion, photography. Big love from Bellingham Jim!