new kids on the block

By Jim Stanford on February 23, 2012

Tags: , ,

We’ve seen some dramatic photos of wolves of late, as the predators have pushed closer to town in pursuit of game herds. In January, three wolves made news by ambling through the Indian Trails neighborhood in west Jackson.

Well, they’re back, and this time a resident captured excellent video footage. James Peck, owner of Lewis and Clark Expeditions, shot this clip of two wolves traipsing through his backyard today. Otis, the family dog, fortunately was inside the house. But you can hear him growling at the sight. Peck wrote:

This video is of two wolves descending the hill behind our house, crossing the creek and walking past 30 feet from our house. This pack has moved into the South Park area near Jackson, Wyoming this winter. Our house is in the town limits. The white wolf has a radio collar on it.

Otis, a golden retriever, started barking and alerted the family to the wolves’ approach. “Usually, it’s a moose,” Peck said. Last year he filmed his cat fighting off a fox, but dropped the camera.

Probably not reason to panic, but residents might want to be on guard and keep the pets inside tonight.

Posted under Environment, Politics, Wyoming Legislature

1. anthony birkholz February 23, 2012 10:59 pm

“Those are wolves.”

2. js February 23, 2012 11:32 pm

I think he was talking to the dog there.

3. Jeffleroydavis February 23, 2012 11:56 pm

I don’t know about your headline Jimbo. It comes up on my Facebook link as New Kids On The Block with nothing about wolves in Indian Springs and makes me look like an old queen boy band fan according to the iPhone App. :(

4. James Peck February 24, 2012 7:15 am

I admit the audio portion of this is a little funny and embarrassing. I was having a pretty visceral response to the two really large predators walking right through my yard. It was surreal, and I think I was trying to talk myself into it. It’s not as though I scripted it and yelled “action!” I was really excited.

5. Michelle Drechsel February 24, 2012 10:08 am

Wow crazy footage Jim! Don’t be embarrassed by the audio – an extreme response is warranted and I would be concerned (on many levels) if you were la-dee-da about the entire affair.

PS Maiden name Kidd :-)

6. Jim February 24, 2012 10:12 am

James, I thought your video and commentary was great. I’m both excited and worried about wolves being so close to people in our community. Wildlife-human interactions generally don’t work out so well for the animals in the long run. I wonder how long until Fish & Game relocates or terminates these wolves? It won’t take long if they prey on someones pet or livestock.

7. James Peck February 24, 2012 12:38 pm

I really do have mixed feelings on the issue. As a non-rancher wildlife lover, it’s easy for me to say that the wolves should get precedent on public lands. But if I had livestock in South Park right now, I’d be singing a different tune. And if Otis had been in the yard and I had watched them kill him before my eyes (not a certainty), I might have a less romantic view of things. In the end, the USFWS made a political deal way back when reintroduction happened. I am very sad to say that that deal will probably doom these particular wolves, once this legislative session wraps up in Cheyenne. We can only hope they will follow the elk back into the mountains this spring.

8. joe February 24, 2012 7:40 pm

the best non-agenda blog about wolves is
    Cat Urbigkit blog wolf watch

9. Cheryl Jones February 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Great video. Did you get in touch with Jimenez from G&F? I’d be interested in his comments. And, I believe, based on the maps and meetings I attended, South Park would be in the year round trophy game area? The collared white wolf looks like a member of the Pinnacle Peak pack but they have been sticking to the feedground of late. I’d really be interested in where these wolves came from. I would have loved to witness that in person, but your video is great!

10. Victoria Scarlett February 25, 2012 11:03 am

We live on South Park Ranch Rd, my husband brought our dogs in 2 weeks ago after seeing this white wolf walk across our neighbors yard. People might want to keep an eye not only on their pets but their children too. It is only going to take one tragic incident for people to realize things have gotten a little more wild in our backyard.

11. js February 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Cheryl, because these wolves were south of Highway 22, they would be classified as “predators” once the Wyoming law is passed and delisting occurs. That means they could be shot on sight, by anyone, without a permit or any oversight from Game and Fish. Highway 22 was chosen as the boundary when Gov. Matt Mead struck a deal with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Teton County tried to move the boundary so that all of Teton County would be “trophy game” status, to no avail.

12. Fd February 26, 2012 11:33 am

Actually, they could not have been shot on site. While the trophy/predator line is indeed highway 22, there is also a temporal component to the law. Wolves south of 22 would only be classified as predators after March. Prior to that, they would not have been able to be shot on sight.

13. Bill Padgett n. Idaho February 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I wish you all safety

Idaho g.f. just harvested 14 from from a helicopter this week in the north. they have descimated the elk. kinda scarey. these Canadian Greys are more aggressive. If you leave your pets out its just a matter of time before something happens. My hope is they move on. turn up the New kids music, that should Run em offfor good!!! beautiful footage

14. dave February 27, 2012 8:22 am

now slated for removal.

15. jd February 27, 2012 8:53 am

hey bill, why cant you just say killed? Harvested? Im all for using hunting to control the wolf population but shooting anything from a helicopter is disgusting. And as for the silly notion that wolves know if they are “Canadian” or “American” and that makes them more or less aggressive has got to be the stupidest thing I ever heard. By the way there are plenty of elk to go around. Ten times more are killed on the roads than by wolves. As for our pets, if you live in wyoming and want to let your pet roam around don’t be surprised when it never comes back. And finally wolves don’t attack people except in bad movies and fairy tales but thanks for worrying about us.

16. SGoodrich February 27, 2012 10:30 am

Living in an intact ecosystem is a privilege and a challenge. We should be thankful!! It’s what makes this area so special.

17. Chad February 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Well put Goodrich.

18. joe February 27, 2012 1:27 pm

the name calling and inferences of stupidity, political or otherwise, is really an insult to all the people and wildlife of jackson hole.

19. jd February 27, 2012 3:22 pm

I stand by my comment, calling these wolves Canadian IS stupid. This debate will never get resolved if one side continues to make up their own facts.

20. ps February 27, 2012 4:02 pm

“if one side continues to make up their own facts.”
    “By the way there are plenty of elk to go around. Ten times more are killed on the roads than by wolves.”
    jd,
    If you plan on throwing out some facts, then lets see the data to prove it.

For everything else you said, I agree.

21. joe February 27, 2012 5:16 pm

wolves,bear,moose amongst other species are bigger and more agressive the farther north you go. the southern wolves i.e. Mexican wolves canus lupus baileyi are the smallest of the sub-species. your standing in a vacant lot

22. Kay Turley February 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Wolves in the backyard.Welcome to the new world. They are all over the place. In Idaho they are on the roads, in the yards, in town. Boy, what a delightful release and discover. SSS

23. Roger February 27, 2012 11:01 pm

Coincidentally, on NatGeo Wild, there is a program “Maneater Manhunt” on Feb 27, 2012 about the second fatal wolf attack on a human in US history. I only just tuned in and missed where apparently but I’d guess Alaska. And, the program documents an additional attack on some joggers (with dogs). Therefore, apparently wolves do attack people though perhaps not very frequently. At least the attacks don’t make the news in the lower 48.

The supposition was that the joggers triggered the prey response and that joggers, pets, and starving wolves combined for an easy meal and would lead for more frequent attacks. The wolves had lost their fear of man. That may not be the case (yet) for the wolves in the lower 48.

24. Katie February 28, 2012 10:41 am

Great to see the wolves… if you read today’s Jackson Daily… you will see that those 2 wolves are now destined to be killed…. for visiting too close to residential area. REALLY TOO BAD and VERY SAD…

25. Bonnie Burgess February 28, 2012 8:28 pm

The consensus is that wolves are part of the landscape and those concerned can avoid contact. As a superior brain we know how to avoid these spectacular predators. SO, Avoid them. Why is FISH AND GAME needed here? Most want NO GOVERNMENT intervention right? That’s WYOMing? RIGHT? So, AVOID THEM. You don’t need FISH AND GAME TO KILL THEM? LET THEM BE! WE AND OUR DOGS CAN HANDLE THIS, it isn’t rocket science.