why I’m running for town council

Candidate for council.

In skier parlance, I have “pointed it.”

As the stories in last week’s Daily make clear (here and here), I am running for Jackson Town Council. There are nine candidates for two seats; the top four will advance from the Aug. 21 primary to the general election in November.

The task ahead is daunting, but I feel an obligation to serve and at least give this a shot. Friends and other supporters have been urging me to run since the mayoral write-in of 2008.

If elected, I would bring an open mind, a studious approach and resolve to make hard decisions.

Come August, I will have lived here 20 years. During that time I’ve met a broad swath of our community. I feel I have one foot in old Jackson and one foot in new Jackson, as by virtue of my work and lifestyle I continue to meet younger people traditionally underrepresented on the council.

As readers well know, sometimes I’m frustrated by the decisions others make for us. The solution is to become one of the decision makers. Like I told the paper, you can only stand on the sidelines so long.

I have set up a campaign website to provide more thoughts on the issues and keep people informed about the campaign. On this site I’ve always welcomed diverse viewpoints, including those with which I don’t agree, and now more than ever I welcome your input.

Here’s to a soft landing.

Posted under Democratic Party, Economy, Environment, Politics, Town Government

1. AJ June 5, 2012 12:00 pm

Good on ya Jim!

2. Mike V June 5, 2012 1:25 pm

Awesome Jim! The council NEEDS some fresh perspective. I wasn’t going to put any campaign signs in my yard this year, but now it looks like I’ll have to. Drop one off whenever!

3. js June 5, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks, guys. Mike, I meant to point out that I am not going to pollute the town with plastic yard signs. Maybe recycle some materials or come up with another way to signify support.

4. elsie June 5, 2012 3:57 pm

Anybody can sit back and rail against the status quo. Especially with the annonymity that the internet affords. You have decided to put your neck out and try and affect the changes you feel need to be made by entering the system. I applaud you for that.
    Good luck!!!

5. jd June 5, 2012 4:23 pm

good luck.

6. Storms Reback June 5, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes you can!

7. Chad June 5, 2012 9:44 pm

Politicians are typically weirdos. Almost universally, really. I dont think they start that way, but rather the condition of politics molds them in to sound-byte automatons. Attempt to avoid this, but know you probably dont have a choice.

Not to double down on the cynicism, but can the blog survive at its current level of credibility?

I guess I, for one, would prefer you remain a journalist. We’re good on politicians.

8. slim June 6, 2012 8:44 am

Welcome to the club

9. Rob Weinstein June 6, 2012 10:09 am

If this ´Town Council´ thing adversely effects JHUnderground…I’m gonna be pissed.

But really…Boa sorte, Jim.

10. js June 6, 2012 4:32 pm

Again, thanks. Chad, I hear you. There are elements of this I’m not exactly relishing. But there’s a difference between a politician and a leader, and I like to think of myself as the latter.

11. Beer June 7, 2012 7:26 am

Yes I realize updating zoning and planning docs can uproot the devil in its details, I am disappointed in many of the fresh candidates as the heavy lifting of updating the comp plan is now complete, all that’s left is to sweep up the crumbs.

I will say this: thanks Jim for representing the East side!

12. D June 7, 2012 8:55 am

I strongly disagree with Jim on some things, but I would likely vote for him. My reason is simple, he always has good reason behind his belief, and he is able to explain it well. So many of the decisions are not black or white they are more of a belief of what is right. That’s why I think Jim would do well. He is passionate about his ideas and beliefs and that’s what I want in my leader. I look for someone I agree with most of the time, who is making their decisions because they truly feel it is the best one. I say good luck Jim and stay true to your beliefs.

13. K B & diane June 7, 2012 10:24 am

can’t believe you let Angus scoop you on this one. GO BIG !

14. John C June 9, 2012 8:24 am

If you are so passionate about Jackson why did it take you twenty years to get off the sidelines ?

15. js June 9, 2012 10:09 am

Easy, dude. I’ve pitched in a lot over the years. Running for office is the next step.

16. John C June 10, 2012 7:57 am

With that much dudetude perhaps you should aim for an office higher than city council ?

17. js June 11, 2012 6:51 am

I’d get wisecracks no matter what office I’m running for. It’s good to live here a while to gain perspective.