Michelle Obama coming to Teton County

By Jim Stanford on July 27, 2012

Tags: ,

The first lady will attend a fund-raiser and perhaps other events.

Republicans burned stacks of money earlier this month to attend a fund-raiser in Jackson Hole featuring the frightful combination of Dick Cheney and Mitt Romney.

Well, Teton County Democrats will see that and raise you, with an even bigger political luminary: Michelle Obama.

That’s right, the first lady. Tender of the White House vegetable garden. Champion of healthier kids. Pipes.

And this event won’t just be for the 1 Percent.

The Obama campaign has released details for the fund-raising luncheon Aug. 11 at Snow King Resort. The public can attend a reception for as little as $25 per person. Space is limited, so make reservations now.

County Democratic Party leaders have known about the event for two weeks, but campaign staff in D.C. gave few details, other than a date. A buzz already has been spreading around the community.

Best of all, the luncheon is at 11 a.m., so people still will be able to make the Targhee Bluegrass Festival.

The first lady’s appearance will conjure memories of the March 2008 Democratic primary, when the Snow King ballroom overflowed with a jubilant crowd that roared as Barack Obama was nominated for president.

It’s unclear whether Michelle Obama will attend other events during her visit. That weekend community celebrations are planned for the new Highway 89 pathway from Jackson to Moose. Given her work advocating exercise for children, it’s not a stretch to picture the first lady celebrating the pathway, which has been a huge hit.

Or perhaps, like Lady Bird Johnson, she will take a float trip on the Snake. She sure will have plenty of invites.

———————————————-

First Lady Michelle Obama biography

Posted under Democratic Party, Politics

1. Sharon Coyle July 27, 2012 7:20 pm

yeah, I can hardly wait… I hope the Democratic party of Jackson Hole is going to make a big deal out of it.

2. Jazz July 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I’m in!

3. danno July 28, 2012 7:28 am

Quiz: Who said, “For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country”

4. Debbie Petersen July 28, 2012 9:27 am

Wish I could get on the link to get tickets?!

5. js July 28, 2012 11:13 am

The event page was down briefly this a.m. but appears to be working now.

6. Jamie July 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Just wondering, are the $25 tickets already sold out? I don’t see them on the reservations page…

7. js July 28, 2012 12:36 pm

They may be — only a limited quantity were available. I’ll find out more information from the organizer.

Update: $25 tickets are sold out, but organizers are trying to make more available. Those are for standing room only. $100 gets you lunch and seat at table closer to podium.

8. info July 30, 2012 7:28 am

Obama is asking big bucks just like everyone else!
    Skip the luncheon-Go out and enjoy a beautiful day in Jackson Hole with your family and friends!
    Those photos are free!

9. Chris July 30, 2012 11:39 am

So not only did Obama already have a $40k per plate dinner earlier this year with Hollywood, now they are having a $35k luncheon for his wife. I can hear the strategists tactics: “Invite the poor people to this one. As long as they pay for their food, who cares if they are there.”

10. dave July 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Looks like the difference between Romney and Obama prices are that Obama doesn’t mind soaking the middle class. Get ready America.

11. rachel. July 31, 2012 10:23 am

I am SO excited about this! After donating to the campaign as much as I can, it’s such a treat to only have to donate $25 more to be able to be a part of a luncheon with our First Lady.

It would’ve been a slap in the face if the lowest donation entry was even in the four-digit range, but instead I am flattered and proud that my economic demographic was thought of for this event.

12. Colby W Dempesy July 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Where are the $25 reception tickets?

13. js July 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Again, those are sold out, for now. Campaign and Democratic Party officials are trying to make more available. Organizers are considering moving the luncheon from the Snow King ballroom to the ice rink, where there would be more standing room. Also, they are considering some type of outdoor event at the base of the hill, which would allow a huge crowd to take part. But that presents security concerns. Stay tuned!

14. JFish July 31, 2012 11:01 pm

Will she be wearing the 6 THOUSAND dollar jacket that she had on at Buckingham palace$$$That jacket could have bought a 1/4 of a ticket to the Romney fundraiser here. This is all pretty sad. And will those who criticized Ann Romney for her 900$ shirt also do the same to M.O.?

15. Jazz August 1, 2012 9:37 am

Regarding our beautiful, classy, intelligent, loving, and caring First Lady Michelle Obama’s lovely designer jacket, it was a gift from the designer. Didn’t cost the Michelle – or the tax payers anything.

I proudly contributed to the Obama campaign and look forward to seeing First Lady Michelle Obama on August 11.

16. Chad August 1, 2012 3:58 pm

Child please. Ann Romney has a BA in French from BYU. MO has a BA in sociology from Princeton, and a law degree from Harvard.

Like her husband, Ann Romney lacks inherent talent and benefits from her affiliations and lineage rather than her ability. Obama, conversely, seems somewhat self-made. The ‘bootstraps’ story conservatives love to tell.

So no, I wont criticize her for wearing an expensive gift. She’s earned it.

17. js August 1, 2012 7:39 pm

Laura and Barbara Bush wore sack cloth dresses.

18. JFish August 2, 2012 9:10 am

When I click on make reservations the options I get are for $38,000, 20,000, and 2500 for a picture. I don’t see much for the middle income family on there. Looks alot like the Romney invites!I have 4 kids but the family pack for 38K is way too rich for my blood.That would be my yearly income!

19. nocoastxj August 2, 2012 1:02 pm

No different than celebrity worship….stop giving credence to the tired old polarizing two party system. “They” don’t care about you, stop fantasizing about their noble ideals.