Fulmer to challenge Barron for mayor

By Jim Stanford on August 15, 2012

Tags: , ,

The mayoral primary in the upcoming election just became a race.

Jim Fulmer

Longtime Jackson resident Jim Fulmer, the base manager for Snow King Ski Area and former ski patroller, announced his candidacy today. Fulmer will mount a write-in challenge to incumbent Mark Barron, who had been unopposed.

Fulmer is almost certain to gain the 25 write-in votes needed to place his name on the ballot for the general election in November.

In a press release, he cited opposition to the new Comprehensive Plan as his chief motivation for running against Barron.

“I respect the service that my friend, the honorable Mayor Mark Barron, has given to our town; however, I feel that it is time for the focus of the town government to be on the quality of life for the citizens of our town,” he said.

“The Town of Jackson was named in 1894 and precedes Teton County,” Fulmer said. “The town residents deserve a framework which respects their homes, their families and the quality of their lives. To use the new plan to designate the Town of Jackson as the dumping ground for density in Teton County denies our American rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

Fulmer said he particularly took issue with the way the town government approved the Comp Plan, passing a resolution rather than an ordinance, which would have been subject to a referendum. Several hundred residents signed a petition earlier this year calling for a referendum on the plan.

He cited several remarks Barron made in local news stories: “If people disagree, it’s election season,” Barron told the News&Guide on May 23. “They should sign up to run for office or find a candidate who reflects their views.”

The News&Guide reported: “Barron said that collecting signatures does not always equate to community support. ‘The tactics used to get signatures are fuzzy at best in my past experience,’ he said.”

Fulmer responded, “These quotes either reflect a distrust of our local citizens, who are supposed to be represented by the elected officials; or a possible attempt to circumvent the people’s rights to have a say in their local town government, including a denial by their elected officials to uphold the people’s constitutional rights.

“As a resident of this town since 1977, I have truly valued the life we have here: Jackson, Wyo., is the best place to live,” Fulmer said. “So, as there is no other challenger, I am offering my name as a candidate for the office of mayor of the Town of Jackson. If this is the only avenue left to the people by the dishonest tactics used to approve the new plan, so be it. I will be the referendum.

“I will give our people a chance to express their views. If chosen by the people of Jackson to serve as their mayor, I promise to speak up for the rights of the local people and to place their lives, their homes, and their families’ needs as my top priority. I ask for the support of all voters in town who would like to preserve and enhance the quality of life for those of us who call Jackson, Wyo., home.”

Posted under Politics, Ski Resorts, Town Government

1. D August 16, 2012 8:46 am
  2. oh my August 16, 2012 9:03 am

What we need is more opportunities to add crappy house trailers, broken down cars and a few sheds as well as a teepee or two to our properties. If that’s what you want, then by all means Jim is your man. Just go to the Western end of Cache Creek Drive as it abuts the backside of Snow King resort and you can gawk in amazement at Jim’s compound.

3. Brad August 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Ruh-roh.

4. Werner Minshall August 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Jims back yard is his responsibility, Mayor Barron’s responsibility is the town. He believes that thru offering incentives to add density to downtown he can create a more attractive, and economically viable downtown. The incentives will come from transfer development rights (TDR’s) thats money that teton county landowners will get paid for not developing their dirt ie they transfer their rights for money . That is capitalism at work . Government sets the table (the comp plan) and then gets out of the way, and allow people to have messy lots in town or decide to sell them for more money. If they sell they win and we win by getting rid of messy lots.

5. greg August 16, 2012 6:59 pm

jim is a good guy no matter what his house looks like. i lived two doors over from him for a year and a half and never had anything but good conversation and offers of help when my car got stuck in the snow.

6. sc August 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Tell you what! I want to know why Redmond is being resurfaced again. Today I had to drive over fresh gravel AND get chucked with gravel by the spreader truck on the way home from work. Trying to commute by bike in East Jackson has been a nightmare since summer 2011. Too many months and $$$ to purposely make Redmond, more dangerous with tight lanes, no bike lane or space, and stupid bulbous corners. So Jim, I don’t care about what your house looks like. Can you somehow (?!) support and protect the residents of TOJ? And I do mean actual residents.

7. Jazz August 19, 2012 3:21 pm

I vote against Barron everytime someone is brave enough to run against him – but don’t expect to win. Barron and his wife, Ruth Ann, are deep in the pockets of their republican backers. Probably would be in your favor to clean up your yard Jim. Trashy yards, homes, etc., reflect on the character of all of us. And I agree regarding Redmond – all the time and money that was spent on modernizing Redmond, and there were no provisions for bikes in the design. East Jackson needs bike paths that connect to all other bike paths in the valley. Not all of us like riding bikes in the narrow streets with heavy traffic just to get to one of the bike paths.