a good reason not to see Django Unchained

By Jim Stanford on January 11, 2013

Tags:

Quentin Tarantino’s latest film has been getting plenty of hype locally, owing to some scenes being shot here last winter when a snowy backdrop was needed.

In the wake of the Newtown massacre, a British interviewer had the nerve to ask Tarantino yesterday about the abundance of graphic violence in his films. Skip to 2:40 in the video for Tarantino’s petulant reaction.

I’ve always had a problem with the director’s glamorization of violence, and skipped most of his work since Reservoir Dogs. In the interview he says he already has addressed the question, but in fact he has said very little. I know because after recently watching Inglorious Basterds on video, I did Google “Tarantino use of violence” to try to understand where he is coming from.

Last winter, during the Django shoot, he had an assistant call ahead to a Jackson restaurant to request a particular cut of steak. Watching him freak out in this clip, it’s easy to see why. If a news interview is a “commercial” for his movie, we’re all here to serve his whims, while he has no responsibility to anyone.

Posted under Art, Entertainment, Media

1. David Stubbs January 11, 2013 8:22 pm

So Keith was a heroin addict and Dylan is a complete jerk. I still love their music. I can’t wait to see this film. (that interviewer is solid, by the way!)

2. D January 11, 2013 10:54 pm

He is a badass as a director and that’s all I care about.

3. Come on... January 12, 2013 12:20 pm

“he has no responsibility to anyone.”

What are you saying?

Violence in movies causes sick people to do bad things and he needs to stop putting cartoonish violence in his movies because he’s responsible for all that bad stuff happening?

Drunks cause more harm and will kill more people than 10,000 Quentin Tarantino movies. You seem to support the party scene.

Guns kill too many innocent people but so do idiots texting while driving. You can’t make all bad thinks go away. That’s life. We got the TSA and overzealous intrusions into our privacy thanks to people who think the government needs to protect us 24/7.

Movies are not the problem and neither is a ticked off QT for being asked a stupid question and indirectly being blamed for all the bad in the World.

You’re worried about movies?

4. Jeremy M January 12, 2013 4:08 pm

well js, there are now at least two things we do not agree on…..

1. the fact that tarantino is a great director
    2. who should be called the greatest collegiate sports team in the land.

Go Heels!

5. murph January 12, 2013 5:28 pm

OUCH!….Sandyhook was staged wake up.Tarantino rocks!

6. Paul January 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Mr. Poppins.

7. Jwl January 13, 2013 7:08 pm

You should see the movie. It’s a comedy. My wife and I laughed start to finish. And fully agree with previous comments, I’m more afraid of cars than of guns.

8. Kristian January 23, 2013 11:42 am

I don’t understand what your good reason is – it’s just not clear. Is it simply that you have “a problem with the director’s glamorization of violence”?

I really enjoyed the movie. Very well-done.