pocket knives to be allowed on flights

By Jim Stanford on March 6, 2013

Tags:

Common sense prevails. Now we’ll be able to tighten a screw or fix something with pliers while traveling.

A mountain man soon will be able to take one of his most indispensable possessions — a Leatherman or Swiss Army knife — with him when he travels by air.

The Transportation Security Administration announced yesterday that it will permit passengers to carry pocket knives on flights beginning April 25. The long-overdue change will allow knives with blades no more than 2.36 inches long (6 cm) and a half-inch wide.

According to ABC, the TSA confiscated tens of millions of pocket knives from flyers since 2001 — a gigantic waste and source of immeasurable aggravation.

Ski poles, golf clubs and hockey and pool sticks also will be allowed on flights under the new regulations.

Air travel just got a little less maddening. Except, of course, for longer security lines due to the sequester.

Posted under Politics, Wyoming

1. Jim L March 6, 2013 5:32 pm

… of course, you still can’t carry liquids or gels more than 3 ounces. So don’t try and sneak on a flight with a regular sized tube of toothpaste or some shampoo!!

2. Larry March 7, 2013 8:29 am

The knife pictured doesn’t qualify. The blade is too long. Only the Keychain group of tools from Leatherman meet the specs. Also there are only 3 knives in the Wenger catalog that meet the specs and they are all three the tiny little Swiss Army Knives that have the tiny pen blade, the nail file and the tiny little scissors. I’m glad they are finally allowing some form of knife so that I can more easily open that peanut pouch but my regular pocket knife is still going to have to go into the checked luggage.

3. Jim Stanford March 7, 2013 11:41 am

My Leatherman Juice (pictured) does meet the requirements, barely. Assuming blade means only the sharpened part.

4. Larry March 7, 2013 1:16 pm

Blade length means the entire blade. Not just the sharpened part. I had that discussion with some other folks on another forum and they found the TSA reg.

Link to TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sharpobjects

Says 2.36″ or 6cm from tip to where it meets the handle.

5. gringo March 8, 2013 6:26 am

Jim,

if you are going to assume anything about this and the TSA in general, I would think you should err on the conservative side and place your beloved knife in the checked bags.

I believe Larry is right, blade length can be considered ‘stabbing depth’…not sharpend edge length.

6. Bart J March 14, 2013 9:37 am

I plan to shorten the blade on my Juice down to the 6cm in order to meet the maximum length. I really like the tool and often do not check a bag.