airport shuttle to begin Nov. 26

By Jim Stanford on November 21, 2013

Tags: ,

The long-awaited shuttle will cost $8 each way between the town parking garage and airport. Call to reserve space.

Residents flying in and out of Jackson Hole Airport for Thanksgiving will have a cheap, easy way of transportation.

A new shuttle between town and the airport will begin Nov. 26. The service, called Ride 2 Fly, will utilize the parking garage at the corner of Glenwood and Simpson streets. Cost is $8 each way or $16 round trip, tax included.

Travelers must reserve space by calling 307-733-3135. The shuttle will serve all departing and incoming flights.

The service is a collaboration between the town, county and airport board. It will be run by the current shuttle contractor, Alltrans.

Parking at the airport costs $10 per day, and spaces are limited, especially around the holidays. Last Christmas, the airport towed cars illegally parked.

Residents taking the shuttle may park for free in the town garage for up to 30 days. A portion of the third level has been reserved for shuttle riders, who can take an elevator to a heated pickup area at street level.

The shuttle will run through April 7. If ridership is strong, officials aim to extend the service year round.

Posted under County Government, Economy, Environment, Politics, Town Government

1. pat November 21, 2013 4:53 pm

“If ridership is strong”

Travel is heavy during the summer not winter with the exception of holidays.

Last time I flew out of the airport, I rode by bike their. i found no secure covered bike parking.

The shuttle sounds fine but I doubt it will fly given the convenience of taking a car.

If my flight is delayed or canceled is the shuttle coming back to get me?

2. Jim Stanford November 21, 2013 6:07 pm

The shuttle service is required to meet all incoming and departing flights, regardless of delays. Sorry about the lack of covered bike parking, but not many folks ride to the airport, given luggage and such.

As for the convenience of a car, the parking fee at the airport is $10 per day. Although enforcement has been lax in recent years, the airport plans to address that. Plus, with all the construction, there will be fewer spaces.

3. harvey November 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Jim:

Nice new TOJ website – watching town meetings on video is long overdue. I would like a mp3 of town meetings. Any chance? Did I miss the download link? It’s easier to listen while hiking. I don’t want to sit in front of a computer.

A few years back I rode a bike out to the airport and threw a backpack on the back for a quick weekender. I made sure to stop by the admin office to see where to park and to make sure none took my bike. Worked fine but a bike parking area would be better. If I remember correctly, I think I locked my bike to a tree and it did get rained on while I was away. We have the pathway going to the airport so I would not be surprised to see more bikers. It seems reasonable to have bike parking for employees. Is there none now?

I have also walked home from the airport ’cause I didn’t want to pay for a cab ride and it was a beautiful day. Took SG road to the pathway by Brown’s Curve then over to the Blair Witch apts. Won’t do that again.

The shuttle would be a great asset. Is it running on airport time – you know, 3 hrs before your flight or is it running back and forth during operating hours? I always get to the airport about 30-40 min before leaving (I don’t pick busy times).

4. Vance Carruth November 22, 2013 12:34 pm

This service is long overdue and I hope many will take advantage of the savings on long term parking alone, not to mention the savings on gas, traffic, and wildlife safety. Anything we can do to lessen congestion on an already heavily traveled route to and from the airport from town will be a benefit to the community as a whole.

Thanks to those who made this additional transportation and parking option available for year round residents of Jackson!

5. Rob W November 23, 2013 6:11 pm

So…is this for residents only? Can incoming/outgoing tourists catch this service as well?

I’m curious as to how Alltrans and the Eastern Bloc Taxi mafia will be hit by this.

6. John November 24, 2013 7:18 am

Is it really that hard to find a friend to shuttle you?

7. dave November 24, 2013 9:51 am

is this part of the START empire?

8. Elizabeth November 24, 2013 1:43 pm

“Is it really that hard to find a friend to shuttle you?”

Not everyone wants to impose. My friends work for a living. Friends are busy.

Nonetheless, I’d rather call up a friend than pay the parking fees or the taxi fare.

I wouldn’t mind biking in the summer but forget the winter and the pathway is closed. Hitchhiking works pretty well in the valley during the winter.

Since reservations are required & the bus isn’t running on hourly trips, I doubt I’ll ever be taking the shuttle. Visitors may not realize they need a reservation.

Alltrans was charging $16 for a 1-way trip on their shuttle. If you’re gone for the weekend, it’s cheaper to park at the airport. 307-733-3135 is the Alltrans telephone number so I assume someone (airport?) is subsidizing them to run an $8 1-way ride.

Can’t we rename START? Rebrand the in-town buses? I’m sure some guy thought he was really smart for thinking up the START acronym but it’s so unmeaningful to a visitor.

And what’s with the airport remodeling right after remodeling right after remodeling?

9. JR November 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I fly out of SLC or IDA and avoid JAC.

If I book today (11-24), 2 weeks in advance, for a trip to SLC from Jackson (leave 12-8 return 12-15), it only cost me $590! Lowest price from expedia.com.

What a deal. 37 minutes for $590 and the TSA gets to pester ya after arriving 3 hours early.

(Actually 74 minutes RT.)

10. wow November 25, 2013 9:57 am

Hey-its thanksgivivg week, how about being thankful for a new option/service at a lower price? Someone should report your complaints to firstworldproblems.com.

11. Jim Stanford November 25, 2013 11:41 am

Harvey, I’ll inquire about mp3s. As for timing, I presume you could tell the shuttle operator you are taking a later flight to cut short the amount of time you spend in the airport, at your own risk. Other than Saturday departures, there shouldn’t be long delays at the airport this winter.

Rob W, the service is geared toward residents — hence the parking garage stop. There is no real reason for tourists to park at the garage. It’s conceivable that some visitors could figure out this service is cheaper than the hotel shuttles Alltrans operates, and they could walk to their hotel from the garage. Not likely, though, given the lugging of ski gear and baggage.

Elizabeth, no one is subsidizing the fare. Alltrans is offering this special rate for locals using the parking garage. It is not practical at this time for START to run to the airport. Using the existing shuttle contractor made the most financial sense. As for the ceaseless expansion/construction at the airport, I share your frustration: http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/top_stories/airport-seeks-wyoming-cash/article_14f2706e-9c50-51df-94ef-a25e34a29666.html