Nora’s switches to good coffee

By Jim Stanford on January 17, 2014

Tags:

Nora’s is creating a bigger buzz.

In one of the most noteworthy developments to occur in Wilson in years, Nora’s Fish Creek Inn has begun serving customers a real cup of coffee.

The landmark eatery switched this week from its longstanding brand, Farmer Brothers, to the local java by Snake River Roasting Co.

Given the refined palates of West Bankers, I’ve often wondered why Nora’s stuck with Farmer Bros. for so long. While sampling a cup of the new coffee with a plate of huevos Thursday, I asked owner Kathryn Tygum Taylor if people ever complained.

“They’ve been complaining about it for 32 years,” she said.

The family-run, James Beard Award-winning restaurant is serving Kirby’s First Tram, a flavor named for ski patrolman Kirby Williams, but Tygum said she plans to experiment and come up with her own blend.

Wilsonites are advised to watch out for Denny Emory, a Nora’s regular who because of the switch is at risk of being overcaffeinated.

Posted under Business, Food

1. Manuel January 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Denny is a traditionalist and needs to change. Since Princeton’s days he only tasted percolated Folgers and Chuck Full O Nuts (the latter only for special occasions). Rumor has it that he likes Cuban coffee in Miami mainly because it’s the same as Starbucks but $3 bucks cheaper. Now that he’s in Medicare he needs to get on with the program and try out Ruth Ann’s brand. It’ll be good for him.

2. Jim Stanford January 19, 2014 10:02 am

I’m told Bubba’s also recently switched from Farmer Bros. to the coffee Dolce used to serve. This means Bubba’s and Nora’s waitresses no longer have to pump six cups of coffee into you over breakfast.

3. Brad January 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Really, are we going to Nora’s or Bubba’s for the coffee? I always thought it was the quality of the food, the value thereof, and, more so with Nora’s, the company and atmosphere. Granted, Farmer Brothers is an obscenity of coffee, never fresh, and I fail to see there are any monetary savings worth going after to serve it, even at the car dealership waiting rooms. Coffee snobs can go to JH Roasters, Café Genevieve, Pearl Street, etc. and get a great breakfast. I like seeing how Joe Rice is resurrecting Bubba’s. Having said all that, good riddance Farmer’s (and Boyd’s for that matter).

4. rowena January 19, 2014 2:57 pm

To bad. The lasting taste in diners mouths will be bitter.

5. Jd January 19, 2014 4:28 pm

I was told years ago by the owner of a very busy Jackson breakfast place the reason they serve bad coffee is they didn’t want people camping out. Turn and burn is the only way to make $$ on breakfast.

6. Jamokie January 19, 2014 5:06 pm

I wonder if this will put a dent in PSB Wilson coffee sales?

7. Christy January 19, 2014 11:56 pm

We love our campers. And it’s nice to finally be serving a supporting a fellow local business. This is only the beginning.

8. Ed scheer January 20, 2014 8:19 am

The last thing any of us need is a higher caffeinated Denny Emory. Hold on to your hats everyone!

9. Jim Stanford January 20, 2014 8:30 am

Brad, I agree 100 percent on the food and atmosphere. Getting good coffee will feel like a bonus. Jamokie, I doubt it will have much of an effect — they are two different dining experiences — but at least folks won’t have to stop by PSB and bring their own coffee to Nora’s anymore.

10. Lora January 20, 2014 9:12 am

Now that is good news! That’s settled, we’re coming back to Wilson this winter

11. KB January 20, 2014 9:13 am

Can’t remember if the joe was any better when it was Blackies or La Llama. What other market is there for pencil shavings?

12. Matthew Lee January 20, 2014 11:41 am

This is great news! Jim – I have brought my own coffee to Nora’s on many occasions from PSB. I don’t know how common that is so hard to say if it will impact PSB’s sales. I hope not. Wilson needs at least 2 dining options that don’t change weekly!

13. Aaron January 21, 2014 12:23 am

Joe Rice isn’t resurrecting Bubba’s, it is and always will be the same crappy breakfast, BBQ, and over cooked steaks. All his restaurants suck.

14. Patrick January 21, 2014 9:18 am

Farmer Brothers is the worst coffee on the planet and is the first choice of too many Wyoming restaurants. I loved Nora’s when I lived in Wilson, but I would take my coffee at home before going to breakfast. I can’t wait until the next time I visit so I can try the new brew!

15. Nicole January 21, 2014 11:30 am

Aaron– this article was about good coffee going into Nora’s, not about crapping on Joe and his business’s. Do you even know what Joe has done for this valley?? The hundreds of people he employees and houses? The amount of money he gives back to the community and youth sports? The brand new soccer fields by the high school that he raised the money for? Keep your rude comments to yourself.

16. Woolly the Mammoth January 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Wow, pretty sure Aaron wasn’t assaulting Joe Rice’s integrity or disputing that he’s done good things in the community. Sounds to me like Aaron was just sharing his view about the quality of the food at Joe’s restaurants, which is totally fair game, because, you know, its food.

Anyway, I’m glad Nora’s is improving its coffee. I eat there on occasion and have definitely brought my own coffee because theirs was so bad, and for the record, my opinion of the poor quality of Nora’s coffee up to this point does not in anyway reflect my opinion of the character of the owners, management or staff of Nora’s Fish Creek Inn.

17. Brad January 22, 2014 9:09 am

Wow, pretty sure Aaron was insulting Joe’s integrity. Joe’s community contributions aside, how else to interpret the blanket swipe that “all his restaurants suck”. Fair game? OK. He has work to do at Bubba’s, sure, and Dolce was a misfire, but I couldn’t disagree more with the criticism.

18. John January 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Wow, Aaron. I can’t stand by and have someone insult Bubba’s BBQ. I consider myself an authority on the subject and I’d be glad to have anyone here challenge my credibility on the subject.

Bubba’s brisket is certainly high caliber, and BBQ means brisket unless you’re from one of those mustard-and-vinegar little tiny states, where BBQ sucks by any reasonably subjective opinion whatsoever. Just order Bubba’s brisket with the sauce on the side, big-state style.

I greatly appreciate the aforementioned contributions to our community by Bubba’s owner, but those don’t sway my BBQ judgments.

19. Harriet Spinner January 23, 2014 9:15 am

You call that good coffee??? LOL!

20. Scott Anderson March 7, 2014 8:30 am

I call it great coffee!

21. Garbage in, garbage out. March 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Bubba’s, PSB’s, or Nora’s. Who cares? All of them are average at best. Their coffee is the least of their problems. Move them out of Jackson and into an actual competitive market and none would last. And that James Beard award was not for quality, it was for longevity and “sense of place” community type BS.

22. Brad March 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Garbage – while I agree with your last sentence @20, just what community are you confusing this valley with that may not have a “competitive market”? Granted, most food venues here don’t approach 3-star status. Many have waxed and waned in popularity or even risen and fallen completely for any number of reasons. I have had non-coffee issues with the three you mention for instance, but I’ll still go back as most of the time they’re great. The last business I would want to get into in this valley is the restaurant line as the attrition rate here is significant. How long does anyone think Heidi’s will last?

23. Garbage in, garbage out. March 16, 2014 11:41 pm

Meaning there are few options to choose from here, hence a lack of a “competitive market. Take North Lake Tahoe/Tahoe City area. Within the same drive time from Jackson to Wilson, there are numerous establishments within the same range found in Tahoe City which many would put any Jackson Hole breakfast place to shame. I love going out to breakfast. In Jackson the “best” is just average. Nora’s is no exception, coffee not-withstanding. Their success is due to location and “local”ism type attitude. Food wise, it is average and the best coffee can’t change that. Another approach: Put Nora’s in a Tahoe City or Park City type location and it would be a footnote, not an icon.

24. k.b. March 22, 2014 10:14 am

You are wasting your time, Garbage. Jackson is a special place. And I truly believe this. But somehow everyone is great. Automatically. Only the more years you have lived in the Valley, the greater you are. So trying to change this attitude is a waste of time.